Anthony Pirog, who you may know as the one third of The Messthetics who wasn’t in Fugazi, will release a new solo album, Nepenthe Series Vol. 1, on November 11 via Otherly Love. All but one of the nine songs is a collaboration, featuring an impressive roster including Andy Summers (The Police), John Frusciante (RHCP), Nels Cline (Wilco), Wendy Eisenberg, and more.
His collaborators were instructed to send Pirog an “ambient” track that was around five minutes long. “It was an exciting challenge because I had no idea what they were going to send,” Pirog says. “I didn’t give any guidelines other than putting ‘ambient’ in quotes.”
You can listen to “Ripples of Light” featuring Nels Cline now. “I wanted us both to sound like two hands on the same instrument,” Pirog says. Check that out, along with album art and tracklist, below.
Nepenthe Series Vol. 1
1. Ripples of Light (feat. Nels Cline)
2. Aurora (ft. John Frusciante)
3. Dense Blazing Star (ft. Luke Stewart)
4. Inflorescence (ft. Andy Summers)
5. Glowing Gesture (ft. Janel Leppin)
6. Bernal Heights
7. Cirrus (ft. Brandon Ross)
8. Night Winds (ft. Wendy Eisenberg)
9. The Eternal River (ft. Ryan Ferreira)